Black Box Insurance
Affordable black box quotes for young drivers.
A black box (or telematics) insurance policy can be the most affordable way for some young drivers to get insured, whether you're a new driver or you've been on the road a little while already.
We’ve teamed up with Marmalade to create an amazing annual black box policy offering instant cover, no night-time curfews, better rates for careful drivers and the chance to start earning your own no claims bonus.
Quotes are quick and easy, so get started right now!
- Earn your own no claims discount
- No restrictive night-time curfews
- Black box technology – instantly review your journeys and driving skills
- Instant cover – no need to wait for a black box to be fitted to start driving
What it covers
A few criteria apply to this policy, but if you fit the bill, let's get going!
- Available for 17 to 24-year-olds
- Provisional or full licence holders
- For vehicles up to 1.4cc engine size only
- Cover for vehicles up to 9 years old
- Drivers must be accident and conviction free
- A parent or guardian must be a named driver on the policy
What is Black Box Insurance?
A small piece of telematic equipment called a black box is fitted to your car. The black box regularly transmits data about your journeys and your driving style back to the insurer, where it's analysed to calculate your insurance premium.
What data does a black box collect?
Some examples of black box data that might be monitored:
- Driving performance (such as speeding, acceleration, braking and cornering)
- Number of trips and average journey time
- Distance travelled
- Time of day or night
- Types of road you use (country lanes, motorways, known dangerous roads)
How is black box data used?
Black box data helps insurers to build-up a profile of how you drive, which is used to assess your insurance risk. Drivers are provided with secure access to this data, too, via a website or app, so you can see how your driving might be affecting your premium.
Why black box insurance can be a good choice
Good drivers can save money
With a standard policy, young drivers are rated on general statisics, which means good drivers often pay as much for their car insurance as poor drivers. A policy based on telematics means your premium will be based on your individual driving habits, so you could save money.
Improve your driving skills
The feedback you get from your black box data helps you to see where you might be able to improve your driving, whether that's braking more gently or slowing down on bends. The financial incentive to lower your premium can be really motivating, too!
Good for reformed drivers
Have you had motoring convictions in the past? Even if you've really changed the way you drive, your previous history might still be making it difficult to get cheaper car insurance. If you want your policy to treat you as an individual rather than a statistic, fitting a black box could let you do just that.
Feedback for parents
Parents of young drivers have obvious concerns when their child starts to drive. The feedback provided by black box data can help to reassure them that their child is driving sensibly, or offer opportunities for them to make suggestions that will improve their driving habits.
Can you drive before a black box is fitted?
With Marmalade's Black Box policy you can start driving straight away after your policy starts. You'll be sent a self-fit black box through the post - just fit this within 14 days to keep your policy valid.
- Teenage Driver Insurance
- Learner Driver Insurance
- How the No Claim Bonus system works
- Rules for Learner Drivers
- Rules for Supervising Learner Drivers
- Student Driver Insurance
- Should you take your car to University?
- What are the best cars for young drivers?
- After the Test - Tips to help new drivers gain experience and have fewer accidents