Road Tax

Every car kept or used on a public road legally requires road tax, car insurance and for vehicles over 3 years old, an MOT.

Buying Road Tax

Road tax applies to every vehicle in the UK and can be bought for 6 or 12 months at a time. Your car is only exempt from road tax if you use a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) to tell the DVLA that the car is off the road. If you do not use a SORN you will receive a fine for not paying your car tax.

As of 2014, paper tax discs have been abolished. You can now tax your vehicle online, by telephone or selected post offices.

To obtain road tax you will need the following items:

  • MOT certificate (If vehicle is over 3 years old)
  • Proof of valid car insurance covering the vehicle you are taxing

NB. You must be specifically insured on the vehicle you are taxing. The ability to drive any vehicle is not acceptable proof of insurance.

In theory you should receive a reminder in the post before your tax runs out.

As specialists in insuring young drivers, we'd like to make this site a place you visit more than once a year, please have a look around to see what other information we offer.

What our customers say about 4 Young Drivers